We've got a talented team - but we're growing; so we're looking for a talented UX designer who can help us build fluent websites. As a Fluenteer you'll be:
- A full-timer
- Salary up to £40K, depending on experience
- Based in Histon, Cambridge, UK
- With flexible working arrangements
- Working on a wide variety of interesting projects for clients both large and small.
About the role
Designer, engineer, analyst - call it what you like. We're looking for a creative person who understands that building websites is no longer about creating beautiful still-life images in isolation. We're looking for someone who solves problems. You'll be equally at home digging into the nitty gritty of a user interaction, wireframing and prototyping to test your assumptions, finessing the presentation to perfection, and ensuring that the end product is awesome, maintainable HTML and CSS.
Your portfolio isn't just a series of pretty pictures - but projects you can talk about with both pride and regret - because each project brings new learning and new ideas.
Whether you're an eager young digital native or an experienced hand we're interested in talking to you.
Fluent designs, build and maintains clever online software to get businesses thriving on the web. Fluent is also what we do. From consultancy and development to content and design, we aim for simplicity, creating free-flowing websites that are easy to understand and use.
We are a boutique firm, drawing on many different disciplines. We specialise in high value solutions using a variety of technologies. Fluent is a highly qualified and experienced team who love to get things done without fuss. Our clients vary in size, location and market, and are mostly acquired through client referral. They generate a high proportion of repeat business.
Things to be really good at
- Visual design - able to make beautiful websites, wireframes and prototypes using a variety of tools - whether that's Photoshop, Sketch or paper and pen.
- Collaboration - skilful interaction with both clients and our team. In words, not mime.
- A UX mindset - someone who is constantly asking how the user will respond and interact with your work.
- HTML / CSS / Javscript - you'll be required to turn your ideas into well crafted, semantic code.
Bonus points for
- Experience with SASS or LESS, and/or a working knowledge of CSS authoring frameworks.
- A well maintained toolkit - what essentials do you carry with you to every new project?
- If you know ASP.NET then tell us. Primarily we’re a Microsoft shop although we’re open-minded and have no time for technology flame wars.
- Professional development skills, such as using source control, bug triage, project management, written presentation
- We do a lot of work in Umbraco and WordPress – if you know these already we're off to a good start.
- Degree-level education
- A few years relevant professional experience. If you’re fresh out of academia or making a career change then please demonstrate a history of your love of design.
- Living in the Cambridge area, and happy to travel occasionally
and of course there's a few things that are essential:
- Being legal to work in the UK
- Not being an agency – we’re after the get-up-and-go of direct applications
How to apply
- Tell us a little about yourself: your situation, background and personality
- Show us a portfolio of projects you've worked on
- Mention five websites you check regularly and the last book you read
Please send your application, along with a CV to email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you.